Thursday, February 14, 2013

Winged Wine and Champagne Earrings

I made these earrings (as well as a matching necklace which will be seen in another post) for a friend who gave me the main components as well as the color scheme, but otherwise let me do what I wanted. I started with the wing drops, as well as some Crystal Bordeaux crystal pearls by Swarovski as well as some golden shadow crystals in varying shapes. 

The crystals and crystal pearls are the only color in the piece, but still an accent to the wings.  I didn't want to overwhelm the wings, so I ended up re-working them a number of times til they were exactly as I wanted them.  I knew that I wanted a couple of dangles with the crystals, but again did not want them to be more than an accent to the wings.  If they drew too much attention, then not only would they overshadow the wings but there would also be too much going on.
I made a number of drops and beaded links to try and figure out the direction I wanted to go.  After connecting the sterling silver filled earwires to the wings, I was able to use them as a template to figure out how I would like everything to lay.  I used a silver plated chain as it went well with the silver color of the wings, and overall, I am happy with how these came out.  The friend that I made them for loved them, and that is what really matters. 


1 comment: